A Grassy Surprise - NaBloPoMo Day 6

I was outside, walking up a flight of stone stairs in New Jersey next to a patch of grass, wearing a pair of clogs, holding a glass of water, and trying to text with one hand. As it turns out, this was overly ambitious.

My toe clipped the next step up and I knew I was going to either fall on my face, break a glass, a wrist or smash my phone. In a split midair second, I became super depressed about the possible outcomes.

But next thing I recall,  there I was in the soft grass next to the stairs. I was just kind of peacefully staring up at the sky holding my unscathed phone, with the water glass safely nestled safely nearby.

I got up, looked around to see if anyone had seen my awkward romp (they had not) and walked back to my clogs which were still poised on the stairs where I'd flown right out of them.

All I can say is, thank you muscle memory. I haven't had anything to do with Jujitsu for like eight years, but in that short airborne moment, I found myself angling to land on my shoulder and rolling like a cartoon across the grass.

Wow. I guess that's what practicing falling like this about four thousand times on stinky gym mats at the YMCA will get you.

I put on my shoes and continued texting and walking up the stairs because I never learn. Or maybe I do. If I practice this move a few more times, hopefully I'll figure out how to end with the water still in the glass.








Comments