The Finito Plant Holder Fresh from the Blacksmith Forge - NaBloPoMo Day 5

It all started when I got a whole bunch of angle iron from Bob the Welder that I never wound up using. I decided one afternoon to pound four three-foot lengths flat. Then I decided to check if I could draw down the ends into a nice taper. This proved to be about as taxing as I thought it might be. 

It took a solid six months of banging away in the garage... when the weather was nice and I felt like it. This is my hobby for chrissake, I'm not going out there in the rain or if the temperature is not what I consider pleasant.

Four pieces of 1/4" angle iron, hammered flat and tapered
It was about this time that I realized these were some pretty hefty slabs of steel, and would weigh a respectable lump sum if I welded them all together. Hmm, I mused. A nice base for something large and top-heavy...

Welding the flattened angle iron together


Burned the shit out of the iron
after so many heats in the forge.
But I think it looks super cool.
Welded up nice

Top heavy part, under construction.

Working on the middle bit. The leaf there on the left
I made up at Peter's Valley in my first blacksmithing class.
It's nice when you have something lying around the shop
you can just weld right on there.

Got a sweet new pair of welding gloves.
Added a second plant stand
that is almost level

Here we go
A solid effort.


Comments