Cops: The First Encounter

I was talking to Grammy on the cell phone on the way home from the gym about 8:30pm. I had to tell her I would call her back because I was getting pulled over by the cops.

The cop said he would tell me why he pulled me over after I gave him my license, registration and proof of insurance. I managed the license and the proof of insurance, but had some trouble with the registration. I handed the officer a registration from 2005. He told me it was from 2005. I said the current one might be in the glovebox. I pull out a pile of registration cards. From 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. I dumped out my purse on the passenger seat and started to go through all the little scraps of paper and receipts.

The cop, a nice young man, got bored watching. He told me he'd pulled me over because my headlight was out. He asked me if I knew my headlight was out. A little picture of a grenade had been flashing on my dashboard for a week. I said, "ohhhh!" as the realization dawned that it was not a little grenade, it was a headlight bulb. I think I looked guilty but the cop was nice enough not to mention it.

He said he was going to go back to his car and run my info, and I should blink my hazard lights when I'd located my registration card.

I called Tom and asked him if he had any clue where my registration card was. He did not. I had a vague recollection of hiding the registration card in the trunk, but I didn't have time to get out and look or to flash my hazard lights. The officer came back. He told me to get the headlight fixed and get a new registration card.

Comments