Back in the Bookwriting Saddle

I started to write a book for tween-age girls in 2002 and the last page only got locked down so recently I remember doing it. Scott hooked me up and submitted my two hundred pages of writification to Leonardo Dicaprio's agent's company. I got a "recommended with reservations" checkmark right before I got tossed in the slushpile.

For months, I've been sitting on the agent's coverage comments like a sand bag sits on the sofa.

Until now. Now I am inspired. I'm gonna bundle this thing together with coverage comment spackle. Here we go!


AGENT COVERAGE COMMENTS:

Meeting Maldova brings up several universal themes that will surely help young audiences connect with the story. There is good use of the self awareness that everybody goes through when trying to make friends and fit in at a new school. Danielle second guesses every decision she makes because she wants people to think she is cool until she is comfortable with her new group and gains confidence. Maldova provides some great comedic relief with her brash self confidence & lack of manners. She is a good contrast to Danielle and they have a lot to learn from each other.

The plot of the story doesn’t flow smoothly. There are jumps from the story being a coming of age tale about a girl and this fantasy world, but then suddenly she is investigating her classmates for cheating and trying to stop them from getting a buried treasure. The story veers in several directions that give it multiple focuses.

All in all, there is a strong character base and with a little reworking of the plot a great teen fantasy franchise could be built.

Comments

Pfeif93 said…
This reads like a review of a conversation with you. "There is good use of self awareness"; "second guesses every decision"; "comedic relief"; "coming of age"; "fantasy world"; "story veers in several directions"; "multiple focuses"
Of course, I love having conversations with you. So I'd freakin' read that book. lol : )