Big news of the day - NaBloPoMo Day 20

Some big news today and I'm not talking about how it snowed some in New Jersey this morning. And I'm also not talking about the bottle of Heinz 57 I found jammed in the back of the fridge which expired in 2007. I'm talking about the t-shirts that me and Derek made which are now on sale at your friendly local webstore: https://teespring.com/stores/scandinavian-social-club-of-ny

These t-shirts have been in the works a super long time. It all began when I was in Gothenburg in  Sweden in 2014. I wanted to buy a t-shirt with the city emblem on it-- a really cool lion. Except I did not want a "Gothenburg" shirt. I wanted a "Göteborg" shirt. Gothenburg is the tourist name. I wanted a Swedish t-shirt. Not an American tourist t-shirt. No. Where. To. Be. Found.



So then I poked around in Stockholm for something cool. The only t-shirts I could find in Stockholm had New York City on them.

Then, back home, I saw the "Keep Calm and Carry On" shirts, and I had the best idea ever-- an"Ingen fara på taket" T-shirt. Technically it means "There's no danger on the roof."

At Fredags-øl last month, Felix did some research and the whole phrase originally was "Ingen fara på taken så länge skorstenen står." Meaning, There's no danger on the roof as long as the chimney is standing.

I guess that might make a little more sense. Or maybe it doesn't, but it kind of feels like you could put it together if you thought about hard enough.

Also why does how you say "chimney" in Swedish translate to "shoe stone." You can contemplate that while you're at it.


Buy a shirt, look as tres chic as I'm going to in 9-12 regular shipping days, and support our club!



Comments