On Becoming a Grandpa

As my mom tells it, when she woke him up and announced she was in labor and he needed to get snappy and get her to the hospital because I was on the way, my dad immediately hopped out of bed and combed his hair. Pantless.

Not much has changed in 39 years.

Re-enactment of my brother Sethie and Mary enroute to the hospital on the phone with my dad, soon to be Grandpa:

Mary: "We're headed to the hospital. Can you meet us there?"
Dad: "Should we just go to your house?"
Mary: "No, I'm in labor. My water broke. We're going to the hospital and I'm going to have the babies today."
Dad: "Oh. Well, we'll be there late tonight or maybe tomorrow."
Sethie: "DAD! We're having the babies right now. Where's Mom?"
Dad: "I have a doctor's appointment at 2:15. I can probably cancel it."
Sethie: "Good idea. Where's Mom?"
Dad: "So what happens now?"
Sethie: "I don't know, this is new to me."
Dad: "Yeah. It's new to me too."
Sethie: "Put Mom on the phone."


Jackson Thomas
6 lbs 3 oz.
19 inches



Isabella Grace
5 lbs 12 oz.
18 inches.

Comments

Bob said…
And now you're an auntie. Again. and all of them have birthdays in August. Congratulations and the very, very best wishes to Seth and Mary.