The Earthquake in NYC!

Honestly I missed the whole thing. I was literally in the closet -- picking out a pair of pants. Maybe because the closet is small and everything is packed in there like the softer side of expert level Tetris, it was the safest place in Manhattan in the critical 4.8 Quake moment.

However, the reason I was scoping out a set of trousers was because I had an appointment in midtown. It only occurred to me while I was sitting in the subway train uptown that possibly taking the subway thirty minutes after an earthquake might not be the smartest idea I've ever had. But, ya know, I was already on the train so at that point, might as well go for broke and continue my travels, as planned to Bryant Park.

Eight minutes after I got off the subway, I had the exact same mental dialogue. Except this time I was in the elevator riding up to the 33rd floor of a skyscraper.

My entire morning could be entitled : Safety First? Wait what?

Anyway. 

Tom felt the earthquake. First he blamed the upstairs neighbors for raucous construction he felt should have been reported to building management prior to commencement. The lamps swayed back and forth and there was some shaking. A Chelsea Shake, not a Harlem one (ha ha), but still very notable.

I love New York City most when something meme-able happens like this because we are damn good at memes. Not me particularly but others. I texted Felice this one:


The other thing that warmed my heart was you could buy earthquake merch on the street at I'm going to say 4pm. #NewYorkStrong.


Here's some of my favorite earthquake memes. There was one I saw with Ryan Gosling in his fluorescent Ken outfit labeled "NYC" standing between two boring looking old men labeled "California" and "Japan." Wish I could find it.


Maybe you'd only get this if you live here. It's funny though trust me!





Ha ha, along the same lines.



Also some traffic cones also fell over and apparently some lawn chairs on Long Island.



Ha ha ha. Can't go wrong with a Carrie joke.














Comments