Horse Meat & also, we went to see a Phillies baseball game with pop and the fam

 

We had great seats for the baseball game.
The third section up (300 level seats) were unexpectedly excellent.


For his birthday, my pop wanted the whole fambo to go see a baseball game. I had more fun than I thought I was going to have, honestly. The weather was great, it was nice to see pop in his element and the whole experience was not nearly as exasperating and arduous as I had expected. 

Don't get me wrong, the traffic in Philadelphia always sucks no matter when you go. But the stadium itself was very efficient and we got in and got out and the game was 2.5 hours, which is shorter than I remember. They have these countdown clocks now so the pitcher has like 30 seconds to pitch the ball and etc. No dicking around anymore is the bottomline and I'm there for it.

We had decided to stay in center city and just kinda take the opportunity to spend the next day banging around downtown Philly, etc. I used to live there, afterall, and rarely go back... so everytime I do it's a constant stream of "oh wow this is all new" exclamations. Tom gets major props for putting up with it, actually. He could easily point out that the last time we visited the street I used to live on was probably on or about Obama's first term in office.

I'm very busy and all that.

Anyhoo, we went for the very first time to the Swedish Historical Museum in South Philadelphia, which is bad form on my part since I'm pretty sure they gave me a small scholarship when I went to study in Stockholm back in the day.

Swedish Historical Museum

What? Swedish HAIR art? 
It's pretty, but it's also kind of morbid
and the ick factor is definitely present.


Ok fine with the hair art (?!) you might think that was the highlight of the visit to the Swedish Historical Museum but it was not. The highlight was a guy from Maryland taking in the exhibits with his 12yo daughter. This dad was of Swedish decent, he said, and his daughter was supposed to write a report on her family history... thus the museum visit.

He's a chatty guy, this dad, and he leans in on chatting us up. After he finds out that I used to live in Sweden, he has but one question for me: "Do they eat horses?"

I almost fell over. Despite what you may be thinking, I was not about to fall over because he asked about eating horse meat in general. Whatever, I'm a big you do you kinda gal. The reason I almost fell over is because he asked about horse meat and literally the day before, Maria sent me this photo from Stockholm:

sliced horse meat for sale in Sweden


Right?! What are the odds that I'm JUST HAVING A CONVERSATION about horse meat with Maria and she takes a photo of said horse meat and then some rando dude out of nowhere asks if they eat horse meat in Sweden?!!!

Maria doesn't know what to do with herself
after the horse meat incident!



Even more hilariously, this cute dad trying to help his kid get her report done I'm pretty sure was convinced the horse meat for sale came from dalahäster -- but you'll probably only think that is as mindblowing as Maria thought it was if you are Swedish.  





Comments