Diary of a Geriatric Scarlet: November 10, 2050

F. Scott Fitzgerald conjugates "to cocktail."

I have always enjoyed a cocktail in the city. I added "in the city" because uniformly, I do not enjoy the beverages I am served on landmasses that are not Manhattan or Brooklyn. In such vicinities, I order something triple distilled, neat. I ask for ice on the side so that I can inspect it first.

At my age I have no qualms drinking alone. I do not worry about the horrors of alcoholism as much as I worry about shingles and mysterious palsies. In fact, I would rather drink alone with a book than with someone who is not a good friend.

Some people read "old friend" when I write "good friend." That is not my meaning. Old friends are not always good friends and visa versa. Good friends have the capacity to be interested and interesting in equal measure. Good friends figure out when you need them. Sadly this is a mix rarely found.

NaBloPoMo November 2015

Comments