The Manufacturing Furriers at 235 7th Avenue, New York City

My grandpa, his brother and his brother-in-law had a business in the 1930s or 40s. They were "Manufacturing Furriers." I know this because a business card turned up:


I do not know what a "Manufacturing Furrier" is or does exactly, but considering the number of fur coats and fur hats and fur muffs and fur scarves I've inherited and don't quite know what to do with, I'm going to state for the record that there was definitely fur involved.

Yesterday, I walked by the corner of 7th and 23rd Street, the site of their former establishment:

The former location of the
 "Manufacturing Furrier" establishment at
235 7th Avenue in Chelsea
Today, 235 7th Avenue is a Chelsea Papaya that is open 24 hours. Still not gentrified, this corner, although the jig is almost up. There's a Whole Foods and a Starbucks just up the block. Next thing you know, the Chelsea Papaya will be a Rag and Bone. Or a Manufacturing Furrier.

The Manufacturing Furrier thing, I don't believe, lasted all that long. I recall something about the mob and getting chased around in a truck.

Here's a snap of my Grandpa and Grandma, strolling up 5th Avenue around the time my grandpa was a bona fide Manufacturing Furrier with a business card to prove it.








NaBloPoMo November 2016
Day 3

Comments