Drinking with the Buddhists - (No)NaBloPoMo Day 20

Friday night we went over to the Rubin to drink with some Buddhists. They're a lovely bunch, these Buddhists. Or at least they are when inebriated. The Buddhists have collected many groupies, such as ourselves, who turn up at the Rubin too.


Everybody over there knows that I'm not a buddhist. Not that I look the part or anything, but one time I turned up at an alleged Buddhist book reading. I recall the title of the book was a very long word with a lot of squiggles above the letters. One of the Buddhists told me the writing was great, so I decided to pop in on the book reading. Why not, right?

Except it was a book CLUB not a book READING. These terms are not synonyms.

It became abundantly clear to most during the book club that not only had I not read the book, I had no idea what the book was nor did I have any intention of actually reading the book, at least by myself at home. I like drinking with Buddhists but I don't think I could be one. I have too many pairs of shoes and I'm not giving them up.

Back to Friday. We met another friend of the Buddhists named Matt. We hadn't met Matt before.

Matt somehow got on the topic of Matt, the name. He said that Matts are never friends with other Matts. Matts do not like one another. It's like a rule.

I had to know what Matt, our friend Matt, thought of this new Matt's strident proclamation. I texted him.

Matt said that he has had other friends named Matt over the years, but it's very possible he wouldn't like this Matt -- due to a general distaste for proclamations, I'd assume. He said if we wanted to arrange a test we could tell him the new Matt's name was Pete or something and then contrive to introduce the two of them and see what happened.

I doubt this meet-cute will ever happen, realistically. But if it did I'd enjoy it because I like scientific studies.

Comments