I voted today. Once. - NaBloPoMo Day 7

At the polling place, I moseyed up to the table for my district but someone with a last name beginning with N-Z was in front of me. So I talked to the volunteer doing F-M. I thanked her for volunteering and then asked if it had been busy so far this morning, like had lots of people voted?

She lifted up her little receipt book and poked her index finger at the page number. "39," she said. "39 people have voted this morning so far." I must have looked dismayed so she continued, "But it's early yet." She also kind of neglected to reinforce that her receipt book only included voters in my district with last names beginning with F-M.

When it was my turn, the N-Z guy handed me a piece of paper to "give to Jean." I turned around and Jean was right there, at the ready.

I said, "This is for you, Jean." I know for a fact Jean liked me after that because when I came out, she asked super chirpily, "Do you want a sticker that says you voted?"


Of course I wanted a sticker that says I voted! She stuck it on my jacket.

The N-Z guy called out, "Take two!"

I thought for a sec. "Nah," I answered, "Then they'll think I voted twice and that would be bad." I walked out and cracked myself up imaging a really stupid voter fraud person who got a sticker every time they voted. What would happen when they bellied up for another sticker and they already had like 3 on their jacket?

By that time I was at the pharmacy picking up a prescription. It was right on the way home and I'm very efficient. The pharmacist looked at the (one) sticker on my jacket and said, "Are there many people voting?"

I said, "39."

Comments