NaBloPoMo Day 15: Half Way through the Month & Barney's is closing

Today marks the half-way point in my NaBloPoMo sojourn. It's been going pretty well so far, no frantic scribbling at 11:59pm or random "holy shit I totally forgot" moments. I do not want to get over-cocky however because Thanksgiving is always cause for concern. Things get busy if you know what I mean.

Today, after we got back from a heartwrenching funeral in Pennsylvania, I headed over to another funeral of sorts - Barney's in Chelsea is closing. It just opened up like a couple years ago. I still think of the place as new. I never managed to make it to the restaurant upstairs.

Even though I have purchased exactly one item from Barney's during my entire lifetime, I kind of enjoyed having it just around the corner. I liked to walk by and peer in the windows and watch the rappers and the trust fund heiresses snapping up three Yves St Laurent handbags in one go. "Wrap my three new handbags in tissue paper and then put them all in a large shopping bag, please."

I guess it's easier to carry all three bags in a large bag than to, I don't know, carry one of the bags with the other two bags inside the first bag. Especially when this whole episode concerns a tote bag or a backpack or a duffel. Who buys a duffel bag and then also decides they need a shopping bag to put the duffel bag into? I'm just baffled is all.

Hopefully I'm not disappointing you, but there's not much left at Barney's as of today. They'd have to do way better than 10% off all items to budge my credit card from my wallet.

Granted, when Barney's Warehouse Sale used to pop up for its annual incarnation literally across the street from our apartment, my credit card also did not budge from my wallet. Despite bone deep price slashing. I'd hypothesize that my purchasing reluctance probably was mostly due to the sheer terror of being pummeled by screaming debutants fighting over chiffon rompers and gemstone encrusted fanny packs.

Comments