NaBloPoMo Day 5: Hitting refresh like it's my job

My fingers are bruised from hitting refresh. The Twitters are going crazy.

First, the incumbent Republican Governor of Kentucky, Beven, is up by a lot. Then *zoom* out of nowhere comes Beshear, the Democrat. Beshear holds steady for half an hour but then the red counties start coming in. Drip. Drip. Drip. Beven starts catching up.

Closer and closer. Give or take a gnat’s whisker. I almost passed out from forgetting to breathe. Luckily my watch beeped and reminded me.

It's taken me an hour to write this blog post because I keep having to stop and manically study seven live election coverage reports while monitoring the tweets. Also yelling at Tom from the other room, "KENTUCKY!"

Beshear has been declared the apparent winner, up by 6,000 votes or some other ridiculously small number. It's really not all that amazing of a squeaker victory considering that Beven had a 30% approval rating, which is pretty squarely in the "we think he's a dirt bag" zone.

And so, Kentucky refuses to let a dirtbag in the governors mansion, no matter the party. Good on them.

Kentucky also leads the nation in colo-rectal cancer. I say this apropos nothing, I was just looking at the state-level stats the other day.


Comments