I'm exhausted from going to Philadelphia yesterday - NaBloPoMo - 13

On Sunday, I got up super early especially considering the night before was Friendsgiving and Corduroy Day and yeah, we were out late, what can I say. It's important to celebrate the high holidays.

After actually managing to get up when the alarm went off and get my ass to the train station in plenty of time, I decided to celebrate myself with a wildly overpriced matcha latte.


It was so early the seating area wasn't even open!

This was the first time I've taken an Amtrak since Moynihan Station opened. Or since I realized Moynihan Station was open, which may not be even close to the same date. 

I have thoughts. 

First of all, my train ticket admonished me to catch the train from the aforementioned Moynihan Station, which is why I went over there. Along with everybody else. And that is my point. 

The place was packed and I had to wait in a super long line in front of a group of Gen Z's bitching about how inefficient the whole process was compared to, you know, London. Also Germany, of course. And most airlines. 

Yeah, stick a fork in me, I'm done with Moynihan. It's gorgeous and the snacks are good, don't get me wrong. But in the future, I'll be waiting to catch my train, just like the past twenty years, in the basement in Penn over by the garbage tunnel. It is subterranean, hot and stinky -- but the people over there are not menaces with hand luggage and we all keep our mouths shut and there is no line.

Anyway, I boarded the train and got myself into my large and lovely business class seat:


train travel is so civilized. Once you're on the train.

I arrived in Philadelphia and was greeted by a blue blue sky on a crisp autumn day. 

A nice day in Philadelphia.

I decided I would walk to the convention center, which looked like it was 13 blocks away on Google Maps. Except Google maps was wrong. Very wrong. Luckily, a well-informed Philadelphian was walking past the spot I was and the convention center was not. He informed me where my actual destination was... which was another seven blocks downtown. 

Thanks Google Maps! That's a bad one to get wrong. 

It was fine though. I had on shoes meant for walking.

After spending the day at the convention center, I took the train back to New York. All the trains were on time and flawless and everything went according to plan. I got out of the train and walked through Penn to the A train. I had originally thought I might walk home but yeah. Exhausted.

When will the damn A train come already?

I needed at least two days to recover but that sure didn't happen. This is why I dislike exerting myself on a Sunday when I have to work on Monday. I'm too old for all this action.

Comments