mowing down someone on the escalator and other micro aggressions NaBloPoMo 20

I went to MoMA and saw some major arts.

Something about this watercolor appealed.

Jelly fish-ish mesh arts hanging from the atrium roof

A Gustav Klimt you don't see every day. It's called The Park.

Trees in The Park.

Tree trunks in The Park.


So... yeah. I achieved my goal and wandered around amongst artistic treasures of humanity. But it was a shit show. The whole walk uptown was a mess, so many people on the sidewalks. And then getting in to MoMA was nothing short of a hairball. And thank god I'm a MoMA member otherwise I would have been waiting out on the sidewalk for probably hours in a line that stretched practically around the block.

Attempting to get into MoMA proved a challenge.

I left in fairly short order and walked over to the E station across the street to go home. There's a huge and really long escalator going down to the train platform. At the top of the escalator, I felt THE BREEZE... the one that indicates the train is pulling into the station. The next train was 15 minutes later. I took off like a shot down the escalator. I was moving with purpose on the left

Because people! 

You stand on the right and you walk on the left

This is what you do. 

We all know this, right?

Turns out 99% of people know this. One young lady did not. She just stood there, all by her little self, on the left. 

Here I come like a bat out of hell down the escalator and she looks up at me but is completely bewildered and does not move. 

I have no time for this and just zig zag around her on the right -- WHERE NO ONE WAS STANDING. Talk about situationally completely unaware. She could have shuffled her little feet ten inches to the right and got herself lined up with everyone else on the entire escalator. 

But no. She doesn't notice any of this. So much for any sort of chorus line work for this one. 

It was probably incredibly dangerous to whip around her on a steep moving escalator for all involved but WTF really. I just can't with these people and I wasn't going to miss the damn train.

So that was microagression #1.

#2 came somewhat later when I went over to the Container Store. Some lady was standing with a cart studying her phone and blocking an aisle and also the stuff on the shelf I wanted to look at. In mild kind of disbelief that she could be this oblivious, I leaned over her head and took a photo of the sign on the shelf which I could not see because she was blocking it. 

Admittedly, at that point I was essentially conducting an experiment on this woman's social conditioning. Like if she feels the body heat of someone basically doing a one legged yoga pose to work around her inert body, will she voluntarily choose to scootch up just a smidge for her fellow human? 

Yeah, no, it turns out.

Whatever, I continued about my business at a nearby display until, lo and behold, the woman wants to get past me with her filled up cart. Oh, ok. Game on. I do not move. I look around and study the merchandise. 

She says, "Excuse me." 

Oh heavens, so sorry to get in your way, my friend. I take my time in the stepping out of her way.

Then we both wander to the next aisle where I force her to again say "Excuse Me" before I get out of the middle of the aisle where I am parking my ass.

I know, I accomplished absolutely nothing except for this woman to complain about the asshat in aisle five. But whatever, it was called for. 



Comments